Contains Strong Language / Humber Mouth Literature Festival
About Humber Mouth Literature Festival
Humber Mouth is one of the most established literature festivals in the country, with its own distinctive style. We present writers who aren’t necessarily mainstream in an informal and accessible way; in previous years we’ve welcomed artists as diverse as Chuck Palahniuk, Amanda Coe, DBC Pierre and James Kelman. With all eyes on Hull as the UK City of Culture, we’re seeking a dynamic production manager to support us in delivering the Festival for 2017. Contains Strong Language is a new poetry festival produced in collaboration with the BBC, which will form part of this year’s Humber Mouth.
About Wrecking Ball Press
Wrecking Ball Press has been publishing high quality, cutting-edge literature for 20 years. For the past six years, editor Shane Rhodes has been artistic director of the Humber Mouth.
Production Manager Role and Responsibilities
The production manager will be responsible for both Humber Mouth Literature Festival and Contains Strong Language, which opens on National Poetry Day (September 28).
Duties will include:
- Managing the delivery of all production and operational aspects of the Festivals;
- Working closely with the BBC, the artistic director and City of Culture team on Contains Strong Language, ensuring planning and preparation is completed to time and on budget;
- Managing all logistics for the festival, including venues, technical arrangements, artist travel and accommodation, itineraries, production elements and set dressing;
- Recruiting and managing a team of volunteers to help deliver the festival, including drawing up a suitable volunteer policy;
- Carrying out appropriate risk assessments for festival events and activities and ensuring schedules and health and safety regulations are adhered to;
- Managing festival events on the ground and briefing others in working on those events;
- Overseeing the collection of audience data and ensuring appropriate evaluation is carried out after the Festival, including collating any data relating to funding or future planning, as required;
- Providing support and advice in the coordination of the festival’s production activities, including scheduling staff and resources;
- Providing advice to the artistic director and other partners regarding issues of venue suitability, technical management, and production costs;
- Undertaking research and providing quotations for suppliers and equipment hire for the Festival:
- Preparing production briefs and sourcing quotes from potential suppliers;
- Liaising with suppliers and venues on technical and production matters;
- Identifying and making recommendations on new venues;
- Supporting in the preparation of technical event documentation including technical and event schedules, spreadsheets etc;
- Managing the get in and get out of festival events, including all personnel and contractors;
- Any other duties as agreed with the artistic director and other partners.
Type of Work: Contract – Full Time
Length: 90 Days (February – October 2017)
Reporting to: Shane Rhodes (Editor/Wrecking Ball Press, Artistic Director / Humber Mouth Literature Festival)
Core Skills Required:
- Experience of producing festivals or large scale events;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Experience of managing multiple events in different venues;
- Experience of managing and organising staff and crew;
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, Outlook;
- Excellent time-management skills;
- Excellent attention to detail.
- An interest in literature and a desire to make it accessible;
- Experience of working specifically in literature festivals.
For further information or to apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Applications close Wednesday 25th January. Interviews will be on Thursday 2nd February.